About the Island

Henderson Island is an outdoorsman's paradise. Set in the Mississippi Delta its abundant wildlife, idyllic location, and natural splendor have earned the island a reputation as a must-see location.

 

Henderson Island is located in East Carroll Parish, LA, 25 miles northwest of Vicksburg, MS.

Henderson Island has been a source of trophy Pope and Young class whitetails reaching as high as 180-class for archers throughout two decades. We offer a thrilling experience for all wildlife hunters, including waterfowl, turkey, small animals, fish, and alligators.

 

Henderson Island's 6,632 acres with over 3.5 miles of Mississippi River frontage and over 7.5 miles of frontage on Chotard Lake.

 

History

Immediately below the proposed location for Willow Cut-off, the river had previously formed a long bend and later severed it by a cut-off in 1866. The distance from the bank line of the old bend to the existing bank line is now 8 miles.

 

Since the date of the natural cut-off in 1866, the channel between the lower end of Willow Cut-off and the upper end of Marshall Cut-off has been down through the long easy curvature of Millikens Bend for a distance of 10 miles. The two cut-offs will now preserve the shape of this bend for many years.

 

By reference to the sketch map, it will be seen that the lower end of Willow Cut-off overlaps the old Terrapin Neek Cut-off which divorced Eagle Lake during 1866. The distance from the upper end of Willow Cut-off to the lower end of the old Terrapin Cut-off is 6 miles, yet the combined effect of the two cut-offs has been the shortening of the river 23.7 miles since 1866.

 

Immediately opposite the Willow Cut-off to the east, the river, prior to 1913, flowed for a distance of 14 miles around through Albemarle Bend. In 1910 the east bank in Albemarle Bend commenced to cave badly, threatening the levee system immediately to the rear. To protect the levee line, quick action was required; therefore, the revetment plants of all three Engineer districts of the Mississippi River Commission were concentrated at this location during that year to place 13,000 linear feet of revetment. During 1913 the river deserted Albemarle Bend and flowed through Albemarle Chute, 2.5 miles further to the west. The bend formed by this chute has now been divorced from the river by Will Cut-off five miles still further to the west.

 

From November 19, 1933 to January 28, 1934, seven dragline machines were operated for 322 machine days excavating a pilot cut along the proposed channelway for Willow Cut-off. During the period of operations they removed 2,392,00 cubic yards of material from an elevation of 29 feet down to 8 feet above M.L.W. The machine cut extended across the neck from the upper end of the proposed cut-off for a distance downstream of 13,000 feet.

 

Between December 26, 1933 and May 15, 1934, hydraulic dredges removed 5,101,000 cubic yards of material along the proposed channelway; the depth of cut was extended to 14 feet below M.L.W. for 5,800 feet at the upper end. From the lower end upstream for a distance of 3,000 feet, the cut was deepened to 10 feet below M.L.W. then to 15 feet below M.L.W. for the middle 4,500 feet. At the lower end f the cut a wide flat sand bar lay between the high bank through which the pilot channel had been dug and the river, formed as this bend had moved downstream.

 

Next to the high bank behind the sand bar was a low slough or chute through which water passed during high stages. As part of the dredged deepening of the pilot cut described above, a channel was dredged to a depth of 14 feet below M.L.W. through this bar in extension of the pilot cut. The length of the cut through the bar was 5,800 feet, thus making the total low water length of the cut-off nearly 19,000 feet. While making these cuts, material was used to close the chute extending between the bar and the high bank.

Dredges were returned to the cut for 98 dredge days to deepent the cut down to 40 feet below M.L.W. at the center, and to 22 feet below M.L.W. at the center, and to 22 feet below M.L.W. at each end.

 

During the low water of 1934, slack flow through the cut caused a small amount of deposit which raised the bottom elevation slightly in the lower end, and during February 1935, a dredge was operated for five days, removing this silt.

During June 1936, a dredge was operated for 38 days, enlarging and shaping up the entrance.

 

During the flood of 1937, flow through the cut-off was 56%, which increased to 66% by March 16. On October 9 of that year, with minus .9-foot on the Vicksburg gauge, flow was 99%; but this decreased to 97% on November 12 with 4.4 feet on the gage.

 

During June and July 1938, a dredge was returned to the cut-off to remove a tough clay ledge at the upper end which had resisted current action and slowed development. To July 1938, a total of 14,911,000 cubic yards of material had been removed from the cut.